152153 AVictorian mahogany tripod wine table, the marquetry inlaid mahogany crossbanded top above a barley twist column on accentuated cabriole legs and pad feet. The original circa 1840. The Oak Bedroom. AL50003 151/ 8x151/ 8x271/ 8in. 38 x 38 x 68 cm. AVictorian mahogany tripod chess inlaid table, the circular brass bound rounded edge top on a barley twist column on accentuated cabriole legs and pad feet. The original circa 1840. The Oak Bedroom. AL50014 151/ 8x151/ 8x271/ 8in. 38 x 38 x 68 cm. ARegency mahoganyoccasional table, the moulded edge circular top on a slender ring and baluster turned column on downswept legs terminating in spade feet. The original circa 1820. The Guest Rooms. AL50029 181/ 2x181/ 2x28 in. 46 x 46 x 71 cm. ARegency mahogany book table, the three quarter brass galleried top with an inset adjustable bookstand, and pull out candle slides on a balus-ter turned columnand tripod taper-ing base on brass mounted circular feet. The original circa 1810, shown above in the Library. AL50019 16 x 16 x 303/ 4in. 40 x 40 x 78 cm.
154 Partof HenryHolland's1788 enlargement enclosed the existing outside wall and allowed direct access to the South Drawing Room. In Edwardian times, the corridor was called ' the Painters'Passage', and Lord Spencer has returned this corridor to the décor of his grandfather's time and given it its previous name. The Roman Emperors'busts have been retrieved from the attics and the marble busts from throughout the house have been brought to this one site. There are two busts of definitive likeness: a marble one of Charles Le Brun, Premier Peintre du Roi to Louis XIV, byAntoine Coysevoxand Van Dyck, by John Michael Rysbrack. Abust of Earl Godolphin commissioned by Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough by Rysbrack, was rescued from the fire at Wimbledon Park in 1785 - although its compan-ion, a bust of Duke of Marlborough, did not survive. Rysbrack, manyof whose works are in Westminster Abbey, was described by Horace Walpole, afrequent visitor, as ' the greatest master seen in these islands since Le Sueur'- ajudgement history has confirmed. A sculpture of " The Innocent" being carried to Heaven by Joseph Nollenkens, was commissioned by Lord Spencer in Rome in 1764, and is believed to havebeen displayed in the Painted room at Spencer house. The collection of paintings, many of them self- portraits by artists of Dutch, Italian and English studios, were inherited through Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, and originally hung in her Wimbledon manor. Either side of the door the South Drawing Room is a wind clock with weather vane, attached to an outside vane linked mechanically to the roof. These were installed probably at the time of Holland's alterations. THE PAINTERS'PASSAGE