THE SUNDERLAND ROOM COLLECTION Aset of twelve framed decoupage reproductions of the original oils of the Third Earl Spencer's prizebulls in landscapes, in fluted rectangular ebonized and gilt highlighted frames, with brass name plates. The picture shown top left is by Richard Ansdell and was painted of the Third Earl Spencer and his friends with the prizebull ' Wiseton' in 1843. After the death of his wife Esther in 1818 Lord Spencer found consolation in farming and stock- breeding. He was founder, together with the Duke of Richmond, of the Royal Agricultural Society. Many of the bulls bred by the Third Earl became champions and these paintings bear witness to his passion for agriculture. AL32801( set of twelve) 29 x 13/ 8x23 in. 73 x 3 x 58 cm. ACCESSORIES 198Note: These items are not included in the Index and are not to scale. Check the dimensions for actual sizes.
The present grounds were designed by the architect W. M. Teulon and date from the 1860s. The Round Oval, as the lake is known, was cleaned out and refilled in 1868. The summer house at the lakeside was bought in 1901 by John Poyntz, Fifth Earl Spencer, from Admiralty House gardens, London, for the sum of £ 300. The summer house was moved to the south of the Round Oval in 1926. It is now dedicated to Diana, Princess of Wales, with a central silhouette in black marble upon white marble, and on the left a tablet with a quotation from Diana on her willingness to undertake charitable works, and on the right the conclusion of Earl Spencer's tribute at Westminster Abbey. The monument standing on the island was designed by Edward Bulmer and carved by Dick Reid, in memory of Diana, Princess of Wales, interred here on 6th September 1997. THE ROUND OVAL 199